The hearty flavors of La Maremma blend with the echoes of the ancient Etruscans in this earthy dish, perfectly paired with the deep red Morellino di Scansano.
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 7-8 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tsp capers, packed in salt
- 1 cleaned rabbit, cut into pieces (about 1½ lb)
- 1 cleaned chicken, cut into pieces and skin removed
- 1/3 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (if using the type packed in oil, be sure and drain thoroughly)
- ¾ cup red wine
Sauté the onion in the oil. Add the olives and rinsed capers and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Add the rabbit or chicken and brown on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the wine and let it evaporate. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1½ hours, until meat is tender and sauce is thick. (Halfway into the cooking, taste for salt. If the capers and tomatoes are already salted, you probably won’t need to add any.) Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes. Serves 4.
Drink a heady Morellino di Scansano, and you will soon be soaring over the hills of La Maremma. Buon appetito!