This delicious salad makes a refreshing lunch on a warm summer’s day. Enjoy it in the shade of a 13th century castle on our Tuscany Hilltowns tour, where the jade-green olive oil makes this peasant dish simply sublime.
- 8-10 slices of stale country bread, preferably unsalted
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small chunks
- A handful of fresh basil, torn into pieces
- Tuscan extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
Soak the bread in cold water until it is soft. Squeeze it very well and crumble the bread into uneven small chunks into a salad bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except the vinegar and toss well. Chill for an hour or two, then add a splash of vinegar and serve. Serves 4.
Quaff a young robust Chianti and dream of walking through the idyllic Tuscan countryside. Buon appetito!