Magical – when it takes one word to describe the Aeolian Islands walking tour in Sicily, this is it. The ever-changing colors of the sea, the pure white houses set amidst vibrant gardens, the trail to a smoking volcano, and the intense flavors of the islands’ cuisine all add up to a magical experience.
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
“I have nothing to say except that the Aeolian Islands walking tour in Sicily was truly magical.”
– P.E., U.S.A.
Meet at our hotel in Milazzo (direct connections from Catania airport in Sicily), ready to walk and explore the stunning and diverse Aeolian islands. The seven islands each have their own personality, from dark Vulcano, with its smoking volcanic gasses and sulfurous mud, to green lush Salina with sweet Malvasia grape vines thriving next to a tangle of capers and bougainvilla. Whitewashed houses gleam in the sunlight of cool Panarea, while pastel pink houses dot the bustling island of Lipari. In tiny Alicudi and Filicudi, you step away from today’s world into a place where time moves in a leisurely rhythm, like the colorful little boats that rock in the tiny port. Let’s not forget fiery volcanic Stròmboli, spewing its red fireworks into the night sky.
Our goals is to savor the essence of each island on foot, along with its cuisine and welcoming islanders, while never being far from the impossibly beautiful sea.
- Swim and snorkel in the clear waters of a deserted cove, relax on board a private boat, and get away from the world
- Taste the ambrosial Malvasia wine at a lush vineyard overlooking the sea, and witness the lava flow and natural fireworks on a sunset walk to the Stròmboli volcano
- Walk past a cascade of caper plants and bougainvillea, then view the spectacular cliffs and beach at Pollara, where Il Postino was filmed
- Enjoy a scenic walk to a prehistoric site or soak in the sulphur mud baths, then slurp a refreshing lemon granita made with tart fresh juice
- Try to choose a favorite of the seven Aeolian islands, each with its own distinct and lovable personality
May 12-19, 2019
Hotel in Milazzo (Easy connection from Catania airport)
Best Time to Go
Spring & Fall
Daily breakfast / 6 lunches / 7 dinners with wine
Jump to Itinerary