This walking tour in Tuscany combines day walks with independent travel, based in a luxurious townhome in the heart of Montepulciano. This walking tour combines the exclusive finds gleaned from our years of living and working in Tuscany with the unmatched beauty of Tuscany’s finest hilltowns and pristine landscape. Even in high season, our carefully chosen walking trails are blissfully free of tourists, and our many friends along the way treat us all like family.
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
Can be tailored to suit you
- Be pampered guests at a luxurious townhome in Montepulciano, and live the Tuscan life
- Play with a baby cashmere goat at Italy’s only Cashmere goat farm, and enjoy lunch with one of the best views in Tuscany
- Follow a pilgrim’s route towards Rome, and soak your feet in hot springs favored by St. Catherine
- Taste prestigious Brunello wine at its source, then listen to monks chant at a 9th-century abbey
- Enjoy scenic guided walks and visits to exquisite hilltowns, while your late afternoons and evenings are free to explore and dine on your own – the perfect combination for independent travelers
Choose Your Dates
Florence or Siena
Chiusi train station or car rental
Best Time to Go
Spring, Summer, Fall
Daily breakfast in historic café. All lunches with wine
Jump to Itinerary