This luxurious walking tour takes in the delights of Lake Como with its lush garden and chic villas, as well as the quiet beauty of the lesser known Lake Iseo on this walking tour in the region of Lombardy in northern Italy. Follow the greenway or an ancient wayfarer’s path with the best views of Lake Como, take a ferry to the tiny island of Monte Isola on Lake Iseo for an off-the-beaten path guided walking tour in Italy. Enjoy a wine tasting in a spectacular cellar in Franciacorta, and relax in lakeview rooms admiring the changing colors of the most romantic landscape in Italy.
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
We’ll stay in small luxury hotels with the best lake view rooms and walk along ancient wayfarer’s pathways that connect rustic villages, as well as explore the lush gardens of Lake Como near George Clooney’s villa. The undiscovered beauty of Lake Iseo with its delightful car-free island in the middle of the lake offers the perfect escape for exploring on foot, while the cuisine ranges from the rustic to the sublime. Enjoy simple lunches of stone-ground polenta topped with wild mushrooms or traditional taragna cheese, to sublime lakeside dinners of freshly-caught perch and creamy risotto. We’ve scouted out the best authentic dishes that are bound to surprise you, all perfectly paired with the rich wines of nearby Valtellina.
- Relax in stunning lakeside hotels and relish the ever-changing light on the lakes from your room or the hotel’s romantic gardens and terraces, and revel in the best lake views on our daily walks
- Enjoy the lush landscape of lavish villas and sumptuous gardens on Lake Como and keep your eye out for George Clooney, visit chic Bellagio and admire the stunning Villa Melzi
- Walk in the footsteps of the ancient Romans along a wayfarer’s path, follow a cobblestone mule track to a hilltop abbey, and taste rustic polenta and artisanal cheeses aged in mountain grottos
- Explore Lake Iseo on foot with its colorful towns and car-free island in the middle of the lake, and immerse yourself in an Italian-style vacation with traditional food and great regional wines
Sept 29- Oct 5, 2020
Milan train station
Brescia train station
6 lunches with wine
5 dinners with wine
Jump to Itinerary