Our Puglia walking tour explores lush forests and pristine coastal pathways, with time to wander delightful whitewashed towns, such as Ostuni and Locorotondo, as well as the lively Baroque city of Lecce. Take a day trip into Basilicata for a guided walking tour of the town of Matera, noted for its cave dwellings and fascinating history, and walk an ancient in Egnazia. Be lunch guests in a private home and learn to make orecchiette pasta while our local friends welcome us like family. Sleep in a trullo near Alberobello, and enjoy boutique and small luxury hotels throughout the tour along with the best farm-to-table food in Italy. Our walking tour of Puglia is packed with insider experiences and the luxury of worry free travel – it’s the perfect way to see and taste the best of Puglia!
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
“Our guide made Matera come alive for us.”
– J.S., U.S.A.
Meet our pugliesi friends and learn to eat like a local with a jolly group of avid walkers who share their passion for Puglia during our walks, and at the lunch table – this is a culinary vacation as much as a walking holiday! We’ll also cross the border into Basilicata for a walk through the fascinating town of Matera, known for its cave dwellings and dramatic rocky cliffs. Visit the trullo town of Alberobello, the Roman ruins of Egnazia, and stroke the gnarled trunks of 2000-year old olive trees, and stay in the Baroque city of Lecce. Relax in comfortable upgraded rooms in three distinctive lodgings – a boutique hotel with trullo rooms, a stylish seaside resort, and a small luxury hotel in the city of Lecce.
- Sink your hands into warm curds as you learn to shape fresh primosale cheese, then feast on a rustic lunch in a stone farmhouse.
- Follow the delightful “Path of the Cyclamens” through a forest of holm oaks once notorious for brigands, and emerge from the dappled light to visit a trullo house, Puglia’s curious cone shaped dwelling.
- Explore the ancient Roman site of Egnazia and its fascinating museum, then wander through a grove of monumental olive trees whose gnarled trunks have been standing sentinel for 2000 years.
- Wander through the circular town of Locorotondo, a hilltop jewel with gleaming white buildings and polished stone streets, then follow a coastal path in search of the brilliant green ramarro lizard.
- Shape orecchiette alongside a jolly cook, and get lost in the Baroque wonderland of the city of Lecce while shopping for locally made papier-mâché
Sept 16-22, 2019
Bari Hotel Palace
Best Time to Go
Spring & Fall
Daily breakfast / 6 lunches with wine / 5 dinners with wine
Jump to Itinerary