This luxurious walking tour takes in the delights of southern Tuscany, from Siena all the way to the sea. The stunning Val d’Orcia with its picturesque hill towns of Pienza and Montepulciano offer marvelous walks with sweeping views as well as some of Tuscany’s most prestigious wines. Further south we explore the fascinating world of the Etruscans as we walk along their secret pathways carved into stone some 2000 years ago. We finish off with a spectacular walk along the rugged coast of Monte Argentario with glorious sea views. One of our most varied tours, brimming with wonderful contrasts as well as the best food and wine in Tuscany.
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
- Enjoy picture postcard views everywhere you look on panoramic trails, explore Tuscany’s prettiest hilltowns, and finish off on the spectacular rugged coast
- Discover the fascinating town of Pitigliano, with mysterious Etruscan hideouts, a Medici aqueduct, and a Jewish quarter with a synagogue and a Kosher bakery
- Immerse yourself in Tuscany’s relaxed atmosphere at the dinner table, and sample authentic Tuscan cuisine in the countryside, and fresh fish on the coast, accompanied by Tuscany’s top wines
- Walk in the footsteps of medieval pilgrims on the via Francigena, and soak your feet in the natural hot springs at Bagno Vignoni
June 15-20, 2020
Orbetello train station
4 lunches with wine
4 dinners with wine
Jump to Itinerary