Our delightful walking route takes us through fields of flowers and silvery olive groves to the picturesque hilltowns of Orvieto, Todi, Assisi and Spello, as well as to the tiny undiscovered villages in between. Enjoy authentic Italian hospitality at a luxurious country inn, where the owners greet you like family, or soothe your walking muscles in an historic spa once used by the ancient Romans. We’ve selected the best rooms in intimate boutique hotels for this luxurious walking tour. And let’s not forget Umbria’s excellent food and wine – we’ve selected some of our favorite places to eat in Umbria for this tour. After a guided tour of Assisi we’ll enjoy a farm-to-table lunch, and in the evening, quaff the prestigious Sagrantino wine from a lofty hilltop with incredible sunset views.
Our walks are rated for their level of difficulty as follows:
- Stroll – Daily distance of 2-5 km (1-3 miles) through archeological sites and in towns with stone stairways. Footwear: Lightweight walking shoes.
- Easy – Daily distance of 8-10 km (5-7 miles) on dirt paths and gravel roads, with short ascents & descents. Good van access for assistance along the route. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes.
- Moderate – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with longer ascents & descents. May include cobblestone paths and steps, or narrow paths along terraced hillsides. Some van access or options for shorter walks. Footwear: Sturdy walking shoes or lightweight boots.
- Fitness – Daily distance of 12-16 km (8-10 miles) with steep ascents & descents. Walks are at altitudes of 1200-2450 meters (3500-8000 feet) on trails and forest service roads, some rocky or exposed sections. Limited van access, options for shorter or longer routes. Footwear: Lightweight boots.
“We loved touring the backstreets of every town we visited and the accommodations were so welcoming”
– C. M., U.S.A.
- Trek through woodlands where St. Francis of Assisi came to meditate and visit his tiny monk’s cell on a secluded mountaintopa
- Stroll through the lovely town of Spello, a jumble of medieval houses built of pink limestone, and see the odd little doors of the dead
- Walk through silvery olive groves to Montecastello and visit the smallest theatre in the world, then relax by the pool at our elegant country hotel
- Taste Umbria’s prestigious Sagrantino wine in a private cellar, and enjoy a home-cooked meal paired with the winery’s finest vintages.
Sept dates pending, 2020
Best Time to Go
Spring, Summer, Fall
Daily breakfast / 5 lunches with wine / 4 dinners with wine
Jump to Itinerary